|Publication ahead of print|
|Section||Nutrition - Health|
|Published online||10 November 2017|
- A.O.A.C. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th Edn. Washington DC: Association of analytical chemists.
- Adebisi GA, Olagunju EO. 2011. Nutritional potential of the seed of fluted pumpkin Telfairia occidentalis. J New Trends Sci Technol Applic 1: 7–18. [EDP Sciences]
- Adewuyi A, Oderinde RA. 2014. Fatty acid composition and lipid profile of Diospyros mespiliformis, Albizia lebbeck, and Caesalpinia pulcherrima seed oils from Nigeria. Int J Food Sci: 6. Article ID 283614. Available from https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/283614.
- Agomuo EN, Amadi PU, Iheka CU, et al. 2017. Impact of different processing methods on the micronutrient properties of selected legumes consumed in Eastern Nigeria. Int J Biol Res 5(1): 10–14.
- Akintayo ET, Bayer E. 2002. Characterisation and some possible uses of Plukenetia conophora and Adenopus breviflorus seeds and seed oils. Bioresour Technol 85: 95–97. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Akpambang VOE, Amoo IA, Izuagie AA. 2008. Comparative compositional analysis on two varieties of melon Colocynthis citrullus and Cucumeropsis edulis and a variety of almond Prunus amygdalus. Res J Agriculture Biological Sci 46: 639–642.
- Akpan UG, Jimoh A, Mohammed AD. 2006. Extraction, characterization and modification of castor seed oil. Leonardo J Sci 8: 43–52.
- Andrew C, Buba A, Itodo A, Etim E. 2012. Thermoxidative degradation of commonly used vegetable oils: a comparative study. J Emerg Trends Eng Appl Sci 36: 924–928.
- Anioara-Arleziana N, Irina N, Elisabeta B, Sibel G. 2013. A physico-chemical study for some edible oils properties. Ovidius Univ Ann Chem 242: 121–126.
- Anis I, Ahmed S, Malik A, et al. 2002. Enzyme inhibitory constituents from Duranta repens. Chem Pharm Bull 50: 515–518. [CrossRef]
- Aremu MO, Akinwumi OD. 2014. Extraction, compositional and physicochemical characteristics of cashew Anarcadium occidentale. nuts reject oil. Asian J Appl Sci Eng 3: 33–40. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Aremu MO, Olonisakin A, Otene IW, Atolaiye BO. 2005. Mineral content of some agricultural products grown in the middle belt of Nigeria. Orient J Chem 213: 419–425.
- Aremu MO, Olonisakin A, Bako DA, et al., 2006. Compositional studies and physiochemical characteristics of cashew nut Anarcadium occidentale flour. Pak J Nutr 54: 328–333.
- Aremu MO, Awala EY, Opaluwa OD, et al. 2015. Effect of processing on nutritional composition of African locust bean Parkia biglobosa. and mesquite bean Prosopis africana. Seeds Commun Appl Sci 31: 22–41. [EDP Sciences]
- Assiesa, J, Loka A, Bocktinga CL, et al. 2004. Fatty acids and homocysteine levels in patients with recurrent depression: an explorative pilot study. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 70: 349–356. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Ayoola PB, Adeyeye A. 2010. Effect of heating on the chemical composition and physico – chemical properties of Arachis hypogea groundnut seed flour and oil. Pak J Nutrition 98: 751–754.
- Babalola TOO, Apata DF. 2011. Chemical and quality evaluation of some alternative lipid sources for aqua feed production. Agric Biol J N Am 26: 935–943. [CrossRef]
- Bello EI, Anjorin SA. 2012. Fatty acid compositions of six Nigeria's vegetable oils and their methyl esters. Res J Eng Appl Sci 13: 166–170
- Bertone-Johnson ER, Chen WY, Holick MF. 2005. Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D and 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14: 1991–1997. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Birnin-Yauri UA, Garba S. 2011. Comparative Studies on some physicochemical properties of baobab, vegetable, peanut and palm oils. Niger J Basic Appl Sci 191: 6–67.
- Brenna JT, Salem JN, Sinclair AJ, Cunnane SC. 2009. α-Linolenic acid supplementation and conversion to n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in humans. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fat Acids 80: 85–91. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Buba A. 2005. The use of spectroscopic, viscometric and other techniques in the evaluation of vegetable oils. PhD Thesis, Federal University of Technology Yola, Nigeria.
- Campo MM, Nute GR, Hughes SI, et al. 2006. Flavour perception of oxidation in beef. Meat Sci 303–311. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Chen Z, Liang J, Zhang CH, Rodrigues CJ. 2006. Epicatechin and catechin may prevent coffee berry disease by inhibition of appressorial melanization of Colletotrichum kahawae. Biotechnol Lett 2820: 1637–1640. [CrossRef]
- CODEX-STAN 210. 1999. Codex Standard for Fats and Oils from Vegetable Sources.
- Cordell GA. 1981. Introduction to Alkaloids: a biogenetic Approach. New York: John Willey and Sons.
- Daniewski M, Jacorzynski B, Filipek A, et al. 2003. Fatty acid content in selected edible oils. Roczniki-Panstwowego-Zakladu-Higieny 543: 263–267.
- Ejoh SI, Ketiku OA. 2013. Vitamin E content of traditionally processed products of two commonly consumed oilseeds - groundnut Arachis Hypogea and melon seed Citullus vulgaris in Nigeria. J Nutr Food Sci 3: 187.
- Ekeanyanwu RC, Ononogbu CI. 2010. Nutritive value of Nigerian Tigernut Cyperus esculentus L. Agric J 5(5): 297–230.
- Elizabeth FA, Michael OD, Tunde VO, et al. 2012. Nigerian Jatropha curcas oil seeds prospect for biodiesel production in Nigeria. Int J Renew Energy Res 22: 317–325.
- FAO/WHO. 2010. Fats and fatty acids in human nutrition. report of an expert consultation. Geneva (Switzerland): FAO/WHO.
- Fozia I, Nisar A, Ijaz A, Azhar ul H, Fanghai W. 2010. Two new anti-plasmodial flavonoid glycosides from Duranta repens. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem 25: 6.
- Gaikwad RD, Swamy P. 2008. Physico-chemical and viscosity studies in some seed oils from wild and cultivated plants. Acta Chim Slov 55: 683–688. [EDP Sciences]
- Hara A, Radin NS. 1978. Lipids extraction of tissues with a low-toxicity solvent. Anal Biochem 90: 420–426. [CrossRef]
- Iguchi K, Okumura N, Usui S, et al. 2001. Myristoleic acid, a cytotoxic component in the extract from Serenoa repens, induces apoptosis and necrosis in human prostatic LNCaP cells. Prostate 471: 59–65. [CrossRef]
- Igwenyi IO. 2014. Comparative study of the physicochemical properties of vegetable oil from Irvigna gabonesis and Citrullus colocynthis dried seeds samples. Int J Biochem Res Rev 46: 568–573. [CrossRef]
- James DB, Abu EA, Wurochekke AU, Orji GN. 2007. Phytochemical and antimicrobial investigation of the aqueous and methanolic extracts of Ximenia americana. J Med Sci 7: 284–288. [CrossRef]
- Jayalakshmi B. Raveesha KA, Amruthesh KN. 2011. Phytochemical investigations and antibacterial activity of some medicinal plants against pathogenic bacteria. J Appl Pharm Sci 01(5): 124–128.
- Khalesi S. 2014. Green tea catechins and blood pressure: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Eur J Nutr 536:1299–1311. [CrossRef]
- Kostik V, Memeti S, Bauer B. 2013. Fatty acid composition of edible oils and fats. J Hyg Eng Des 4: 112–116.
- Lopez HW, Leenhardt F, Coudray C, Remesy C. 2002. Minerals and phytic acid interactions: is it a real problem for human nutrition? Int J Food Sci Technol 37: 727–739. [CrossRef]
- Lukaszewicz M, Szopa J, Krasowska A. 2004. Susceptibility of lipids from different flax cultivars to peroxidation and its lowering by added antioxidants. Food Chem 88: 225–231. [CrossRef]
- Mandvi S, Showkat AG, Rajneesh KA, Rajendra S. 2014. Evaluation of Duranta repens for its antifungal potential. Int J Med Plants Photon 106: 390–395.
- Mengoni F, Lichtner M, Battinelli L, et al. 2002. In vitro anti-HIV activity of oleanolic acid on infected human mononuclear cells. Planta Med 68: 111–114. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Menoyo D, López-Bote CJ, Bautista JM, Obach A. 2002. Herring vs. anchovy fish oils in salmon feeding. Aquat Living Resour 15: 217–223. [CrossRef] [EDP Sciences]
- Mohammed MI, Hamza ZU. 2008. Physicochemical properties of oil extracts from Sesamum Indicum L. seeds grown in Jigawa State – Nigeria. J Appl Sci Environ Manag 122: 99–101.
- Murray RK, Granner DK, Mayes PA, Rodwell VW. 2000. Harper's Biochemistry, 25th Edition. USA: McGraw-Hill, Health Profession Division.
- Musa M, Sulaiman AU, Bello I, et al. 2012. Physicochemical properties of some commercial groundnut oil products sold in Sokoto metropolis. Northwest Nigeria. J Biol Sci Bioconserv 4: 38–45.
- Nkafamiya II, Maina HM, Osemeahon SA, Modibbo UU. 2010. Percentage oil yield and physiochemical properties of different groundnut species Arachis hypogaea. Afri J Food Sci 47: 418–421.
- Noonan SC, Savage GP. 1999. Oxalate content of foods and its effect on humans. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 81: 64–74
- Nwabanne JT. 2012. Kinetics and thermodynamics study of oil extraction from fluted pumpkin seed. Int J Multidiscip Sci Eng 36: 11–15.
- Oderinde RA, Ajayi IA. 2000. Physico-chemical and metal composition of Calophyllum inophyllum seed and seed oil. Pak J Ind Res 43: 357–358.
- Okunlola AI. 2013. The effects of cutting types and length on rooting of Duranta Repens in the nursery. Glob J Hum Soc Sci Geogr Geo-Sci Environ Disaster Manag 13(3): 1–5. Version 1.0.
- Okwu DE, Okwu ME. 2004. Chemical composition of Spondias mombin Linn. Plant parts. J Sustain Agric Environ 62: 140–147.
- Orsavova J, Misurcova L, Ambrozova JV, et al. 2015. Fatty acids composition of vegetable oils and its contribution to dietary energy intake and dependence of cardiovascular mortality on dietary intake of fatty acids. Int J Mol Sci 16: 12871–12890. DOI: 10.3390/ijms160612871. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Oyeleke GO, Olagunju EO, Ojo A. 2012. Functional and physicochemical properties of watermelon Citrullus Lanatus seed and seed-oil. J Appl Chem 22: 29–31.
- Paolillo R, Carratelli CR, Rizzo A. 2011. Effect of resveratrol and quercetin in experimental infection by Salmonella enteric Serovar typhimurium. Int J Immunopharmacol 11: 149–156. [CrossRef]
- Rennie BD, Tanner JW. 1991. Fatty acid composition of oil from soybean leaves grown at extreme temperatures. J Am Oil Chem Soc 68: 106–108. [CrossRef]
- Rowezak MM. 2001. Response of some ornamental plants to treatment with growth substances M. Sc. Thesis Faculty of Agriculture Cairo University of Egypt.
- Roy HJ, Lundy S, Eriksen C, Kalicki B. 2009. Anthocynanins. Louisiana, USA: Pennington Nutrition series.
- Seeram N, Schutzki R, Chandra R, Nair MG. 2002. Characterization, quantification, and bioactivities of anthocyanins in Cornus species. J Agric Food Chem 50: 2519–2523. [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Shimada T. 2006. Salivary proteins as a defense against dietary tannins. J Chem Ecol 326: 1149–63. [CrossRef]
- Stary F. 1998. The natural guide to medicinal herbs and plants. London: Tiger Books International, pp. 12–16.
- Ujowundu CO, Kalu FN, Okafor OE, et al. 2010. Evaluation of the chemical composition of Dacryodes edulis G. Don. seeds. Int J Biol Chem Sci 44: 1225–1233. [EDP Sciences]
- USDA 2005. National nutrient database for standard reference. Release 18. 2005. USDA – United States Department of Agriculture. October 2005. Available from http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp.
- Vidrih R. Filip S, Hribar J. 2009. Content of higher fatty acids in green vegetables. Czech J Food Sci 27: Special Issue.
- Vijayan J, Slaughter DC, Paul SR. 1996. Optical properties of corn oil during frying. Int J Food Sci Technol 31: 353–358. [CrossRef]
- Wegener T, Fintelmann V. 1999. Flavonoids and bioactivity. Weinner Medizinische Wochenschrift 149: 241–247.
- Xiao P. 1992. A pictorial encyclopedia of Chinese medical herbs. Tokyo: Chuokoron-Sha. Inc.
- Zock PL, de Vries JHM, Katan MB. 1994. Impact of myristic acid versus palmitic acid on serum lipid and lipoprotein levels in healthy women and men. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc 14: 567–575. [CrossRef]
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.